Mom, dad, and I have been cooking almost every day since the start of Hawaiʻi’s work from home mandate, so I thought we could make a brand new dinner we’ve never tried before! What if I told you this was my favorite dish made in our kitchen? I found this Tuscan chicken and orzo with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes in the most delicious creamy sauce from Half Baked Harvest (the last of whose recipes I made back in October). The chicken and orzo recipe is extremely simple and only requires one skillet or pan that can go on the stove and in the oven for finishing. Dad and I used a deep lasagna baking dish that we placed on top of two burners and still cooked the ingredients evenly. We again swapped out the chicken breasts for thighs, used a third less and just doubled the recipe to share with my sister and save for leftovers!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs halved
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion sliced
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 2/3 cups white wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cups Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- juice of 1 lemon
- Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in dish.
- Rub chicken thighs with seasonings and add to the dish, searing until slightly golden and almost cooked through (make sure to not fully cook chicken, because they’ll finish in the oven). Remove from the dish and place in a bowl.
- Heat butter in same dish and add onions, cooking until translucent.
- Add garlic and orzo to the dish and toast the pasta until golden (approximately 3 minutes).
- De-glaze dish with white wine, careful to not flambé, and add water before bringing to a boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, mustard, Parmesan, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes, cooking until spinach has wilted.
- Place chicken thighs under the orzo in the dish while making sure to pour all juices in as well.
- Put dish in the oven and cook uncovered for approximately 12 minutes.
- Top dish with lemon juice and serve.