I think it’s acceptable to say that all diets and nutritional guides have been thrown out the window during the entirety of our quarantine thus far. I know most wellness blogs or articles recommend exercising and cooking healthy foods while we have the available “free time,” but I find eating my feelings is much more satisfying. Last weekend, I made my favorite breakfast sandwich that is both insanely delicious and terrible for me (but who cares! We’re in a pandemic!) and I was the happiest I’ve been in a while as I ate it. I’ve made this breakfast sandwich every once in a while since high school when I truly want to treat myself to something found at a breakfast diner or a deli. I love love love a good bacon, egg, and cheese in NYC, and this is my own spin on the breakfast sandwich (using a much lower quality bagel obviously). Let’s just not calculate the calories for this one, okay?
- 1 bagel
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer)
- 2 strips thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- seasonings of choice (I used garlic salt and pepper in my eggs)
- Smear the pesto all over one half of the bagel and top with the cheese slices.
- Pop both bagel halves into the toaster, but don’t start toasting yet.
- Crack eggs into a bowl, sprinkle seasonings on top, and whisk until mostly combined.
- Split two slices of bacon in half and cook until almost done, before setting aside to drain on a paper towel (don’t cook all the way because bacon will continue cooking as it cools).
- Toast bagel based on toaster settings.
- Cook eggs in bacon grease (bad for you, but also so good) until soft scrambled.
- Once bagel is crispy and cheese is melted, remove from toaster oven.
- Place bacon slices on non-pesto and cheese-covered bagel half and top with scrambled eggs.