Last month I shared the first of my mom’s many recipes we love as a family and March’s installment features our ultimate comfort meal: shepherd’s pie. I’ve loved shepherd’s pie since I was a kid because there will never be enough mashed potatoes for me and I can’t think of anything more delicious than what’s basically a gravy deep dish (I don’t think I could make it sound any more disgusting…my apologies). My mom made this dinner for us more when we moved to our current house because our tiny apartment had an oven the size of a Barbie dream house appliance, and this shepherd’s pie requires a bit of baking (just to seal the deal). The best part of this meal is that it’s completely customizable, so add any type of vegetable you want (I think the classic recipe contains peas and carrots and maybe even some lamb as the meat!) and swap out the beef for your choice of protein if that’s more desirable! In my house, however, we’ll stick to these basics.
Ingredients (for one giant lasagna pan):
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 16 oz bag frozen corn
- 3-4 jars Heinz Homestyle Gravy (Savory Beef)
- 1 box mashed potatoes (I think she uses the Idahoan brand)
- Milk, butter for mashed potatoes (based on box instructions)
- Optional: French’s fried onions
- Dice onion into small chunks in a large pot.
- Fry chopped onions until they’re fragrant and almost cooked all the way through.
- Fry ground beef with onions and drain the oil.
- Pour jars of gravy, packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and bag of frozen corn into the pot and mix everything together.
- Let mixture simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Follow instructions on mashed potato box and cook until creamy.
- In a large lasagna or casserole dish, pour in hamburger and corn mix and make sure they’re evenly distributed.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of the hamburger and corn.
- Top mashed potatoes with sprinkling of French’s fried onions if desired or cheese if that’s more your style.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a salad and Pillsbury biscuits!