I’ve always loved joking about how my mom hasn’t cooked for us in years (which at one point, was more like several months), because she would much rather dad or someone else make dinner after a long day at work and even more time spent cleaning the house and the pets’ areas. Even though all of the meals she makes are delicious, I tend to photograph and blog dad’s ones instead (I know, I’m a shitty kid). I couldn’t ignore last night’s dinner though— our family favorite lasagna that only mom can make perfectly. Of course, this lasagna isn’t the type one would order at an Italian restaurant, but we love it because it contains all the beef and vegetables we love the most! After waiting for what seems like years (not exaggerating this time), I had to share mom’s lasagna recipe with you all!
Ingredients (for one large lasagna pan or two small ones):
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 jars Barilla Marinara sauce (or any sauce of choice; crushed tomatoes would be great as well)
- 1 bag sliced pepperoni
- 2 containers mushrooms
- 2 cans sliced olives
- 2 boxes lasagna noodles
- 2 small onion
- 2 lb bag cheddar cheese
- 2 lb bag mozzarella cheese
- Dice small onion into small cubes.
- Heat oil of choice in large pot and start cooking onions before adding hamburger.
- Brown hamburger and drain oil (but never pour oil down the sink drain!) when almost fully cooked.
- Pour jars of marinara sauce in beef and onion mixture and mix.
- Chop mushrooms into quarters and add to sauce.
- Toss sliced mushrooms and pepperoni slices into pot and mix together.
- Simmer sauce for approximately 30 minutes until vegetables are softened and flavors begin to mesh.
- Cook lasagna noodles based on box instructions.
- To layer ingredients, spread some sauce on bottom of lasagna pan(s) and lay noodles across surface. Add more sauce to noodle tops and sprinkle both cheeses directly over. Add another layer of noodles, more sauce, and cheese, and repeat steps until every ingredient is gone.
- Top last layer of noodles with remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Cover pan(s) with foil and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with Caesar salad, sauteed veggies, and crusty bread!