Baylor football has experienced quite the shake up over the past couple weeks as two senior starters announced their transfers to other programs (thanks to the NCAA’s gift of an extra year of eligibility), the returns of multiple fan favorites next season, and Head Coach Dave Aranda firing two offensive coaches (and for good reason). After a 2-7 regular season finish, the Bears have a lot to look forward and adjust to in the offseason! Let’s jump into the many returns, transfers, and coach firings before it’s time for Christmas Eve dinner!
- Senior WR Jared Atkinson—collected 2 catches for 68 yards this season and had 18 catches for 262 yards total his entire career.
- Senior WR/RB/KR/PR Trestan Ebner—named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year following his 2020 season with 26 catches for 299 yards and 3 TDs as well as 50 carries for 107 yards and 1 TD. Ebner also added 19 kick returns for 612 yards and 2 TDs this year. In his total career, Ebner had 99 catches for 1,231 yards and 9 TDs and 195 carries for 891 yards and 7 TDs. The returns of phenomenal athletes can be scary, but Ebner is one of the best to get back.
- Senior OL Xavier Newman
- Senior CB Raleigh Texada—finished the season with 29 tackles with 1.5 for a loss of 10 yards, 1 sack for a loss of 9 yards, 1 interception, 4 passes deflected, and 1 forced fumble. Over the past four years, Texada recorded 108 tackles with 4.5 for a loss of 21 yards, 1 sack for a loss of 9 yards, 3 interceptions, 15 passes deflected, and 2 forced fumbles.
- Junior LB Terrel Bernard—defensive leader and All-Big 12 Second-Team honoree only started and played in 5 games where he amassed 55 tackles with 6.5 for a loss of 19 yards, 3.5 sacks for a loss of 15 yards, 1 interception and 3 passes deflected. Bernard’s three collegiate seasons saw 214 tackles with 19 for a loss of 78 yards, 9 sacks for a loss of 60 yards, 3 interceptions, 7 passes deflected, and 3 fumble recoveries. Bernard’s return will be menacing to all offenses in the Big 12.
- Senior QB Charlie Brewer—led the Bears to their first Big 12 Championship game in 5 years last season, but Brewer’s skills quickly deteriorated in 2020. Completed 198 of 321 passing attempts for 1,958 yards with 14 TDs and 8 interceptions. He also added 107 carries for 154 yards and 4 TDs. Brewer announced he’ll be transferring to Utah for his final year of eligibility.
- Senior RB John Lovett—four year starter who earned a single digit every season, Lovett’s talent and dedication to his team made him a quick fan favorite. After struggling with injuries throughout most of 2020, he had 45 carries for 130 yards and 1 TD. Lovett announced he’ll be transferring to Penn State for his final year of eligibility.
- Offensive Coordinator Larry Fedora—imploded Baylor’s forever efficient offense and wore visors. Enough said.
- WR Coach and Passing Game Coordinator Jorge Muñoz